About Me

My photo
I love hard. I laugh loud. I wanna live laudibly.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

An Economist's Rant

I took up Economics in college because I want to appreciate the science and art of it. How? I cannot be too sure. I enjoyed attending my subjects. I learned the kinks and skews of graphs, calculated for the saturation points, analyzed theories (I love the sound of Malthusian), and endlessly crossed my brows over my Econometrics professor whose industry of writing numbers in the whiteboard gives him the liberty to overwrite until you cant identify the figures. Very creative. By the way, I took up the same course because I fantasize landing in a research job after graduation. It did not materialize. So I contented myself blogging instead. Funny though, because I do not blog about the economy or some economic-bound issues affecting the world and more considerably, MOI. I am not exempted from the adverse effects of inflation, peso-dollar exchange, coming in and pulling out of investors, my taxes (the hell!), or simply working my ass everyday (because I am a member of the country's labor force).
*****
Hear ye, hear ye! It was on the news today. Fare hike effective Friday (July 11, 2008 -- a happy birthday present for Mark my colleague, I guess). What with the unstoppable rising price of petroleum, I think I can no longer afford to bear a child (huh?!). I was just thinking how expensive it would be to bear and rear one no matter how I consider it a blessing, really. Or only if I would have Bill Gates and his likes as godfathers of my child.
And what about a wage hike? When will the common tao's pocket thicken a few bills or coins more? How many less can you buy with your grocery budget of PhP500 than before? (to be continued...)

No comments: