About Me

My photo
I love hard. I laugh loud. I wanna live laudibly.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Gone for the Weekend

I am off to the province again for the weekend. I received a call from my uncle whose son is celebrating his 7th birthday on the 12th. Fantastic. Three people close to my heart will be celebrating their birthday on that day: my cousin CJ, my brother Cleo, and my Uncle Dr. Cres. Here's my take on this: It may be an unwelcomed coincidence but it sure is strategic -- economical celebration altogether. I was tasked to be the party host for CJ's fete. I did not hesitate to accept the assignment. My mind is bubbling F-U-N and I'm missing my cousins so sorely already.
*****
Ask me who I saw at the bus terminal? Let me hear you say "Who?" now, please. It's Ryan! (Do I have to mention who he is?) Jhia will be thrilled to read this.
Flashback. Ryan Vir Estrada Pagdanganan (that is how much I know him) was my highschool classmate slash then-persistent suitor slash almost-BF-but-not-quite slash friend (charing!). What happened between us? It's a long story. Besides, his version of the story might be diffferent from mine. What really matters is we ended up being friends in spite of the fact that he waited all too long and was very disappointed of my decisions. I think there's too much information about him now here.
Since the bus heading to Alaminos/Bolinao is scheduled to leave at 9:00 pm and I do not want to wait that long, I decided to take the bus bound to Lingayen and jump off Tarlac instead. And before I knew it, Ryan is riding the same bus (because he is from Lingayen, idiot me) and I overheard him requesting the ticket lady to place his seat number beside mine. For friendship's sake, I did not object.
It was a casual encounter. Of course, being the gentleman that I knew him to be, he gestured that I sit ahead. And while we shared pep talks initially, I actually asked his permission if I could sleep because I am so tired. I still managed to say that tactfully, same old approach. (Style mo Tinao, bulok!) But I'm sure he understands. I even borrowed his cap because I cannot sleep with the lights on above my head. He lent me his cap selflessly. Still the same old Ryan, I thought, without the mutual feeling though.
In the course of our pep talks, I had to manipulate some of our discussions that I know will bring us to where we were before. Here's a factoid (fact to avoid): he broke up with his girlfriend already. He knew about my status too but I did not bother to bring it up. But he did. We both laughed for a while, but most likely because he thought I committed a more stupid mistake than him. I dismissed the mistake. I treated it like a lesson for me now - never to rush into love. He agreed to what I said, which is odd because we apparently disagree on so many things. It must be another factoid, but I brushed the idea off. In my most courteous way, I told him that I think I need to rest. He obliged.
It was a peaceful trip for me (and I supposed for him too). Beside me, soundly sleeping or half-sleep, is Ryan, who I am at peace with despite the 'past'. We never officially talked about us. It just came to that point when he must have realized that 'friendship' is everything I have to offer. Most of my highschool friends would find this hard to believe because they must have seen the special bond we shared through out the years, and maybe until now. But, yes, we will remain friends as far as I am concerned. (Jhia, claro?)
Funny how fate (if there is such a thing) brought us together like this. I am off to the province for the weekend and we might bump into each other again, I cannot say. Whenever and wherever, I could head-high say that it would no longer be an awkward encounter. We said our byes and I heard him say 'Ingat!' with sincerity, like I gained back the friend he once was to me. And he will still be.

2 comments:

jishinka said...

hi tin! found the link to this blog from your multiply account. I was in Pangasinan on the same weekend. But in Dagupan though. San nga kayo ulit dun? =)

Tinao said...

sa bugallon kami pache. :) teehee. i saw your pics nga. obviously you had fun. haha!