About Me

My photo
I love hard. I laugh loud. I wanna live laudibly.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sadness Galore

What's with today? I thought I'd be doomed. This is how it feels to be 'bagsakan ng langit'. But dear God, if these are the worst things that would happen to me today, it would still be a good day after all.
*****
Laptop disaster early in the morning!
I had this strong feeling it would happen to me because I was doing irregular downloads yesterday. Install here, delete there. Enter, enter, enter. Come this morning, my screen greeted me with: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:" For crying out loud! My mind's instinctive reaction was: "Ang files ko!!!!!!!!!"
Like saving a lifeless drowned victim, I was pressing the power on and off -- hopeful to see a message that reads something like: "Joke lang!" But dreaming big early in the morning is not a very good indication of a character fit to be called a 'normal employee.' So thank God the black screen and the message prompt was consistent. And so is my heart breaking and panicking. My eyes are on a warning: tear ducts are about to explode.
I called the supplier. I was having second thoughts while talking to him. He said he'd come and visit the office to check the unit himself. Is he bringing bad shoes or bad news? I was always right with the 'bad', I guess. My laptop needs reformatting. Huh?! But what about my files? He prompted me with a dreadful question that can hardly go through my mind: "Do you do back-ups?" Doomed.
But hey, I'm not just the type who surrenders. Especially when I know people. Hahaha. Yeah, my ex including. Sad fact: I just could not drag my IT-loved-ones to the office and fix my laptop. I have to be resourceful. As soon as this technical guy left, I called our Online Department for support. Jex was accommodating, but I understand he has deadlines too. So I let him explain a few things for me and I helped myself with a little research. My last resort was to consult my ex-beau which I dreaded doing myself. I asked too many favors from him already. He's been very helpful even after the break-up. Fine. I did not call him.
So to verify that my actions are technically legal in the IT-scape, I tried my luck again to call the supplier. I must have charmed the person from the other line. What can I do but be pleasant as I always am? Hahaha. It was another technical support guy. I could not stop him from volunteering to visit the office to check on the unit personally. It must really be my voice this time. So in a matter of 8 minutes, he was at the office. Maybe he did some abracadabra or hocus pocus or bari-bari-bari. Whatever that is that he did, he brought my laptop to life! For free! No service charge even if my unit is already not under warranty. If only my power hug is for free, but no. How about water for an angel who flew from up the scorching sun? He just smiled.
Ramil is the name of that angel, by the way. Someday, somehow, I'll find my way to bump into you and help you too. Thank you! Thank you!
And may I say Rannie was an angel too? In more than ways than one. Thanks Rann!
*****
And like sadness is never contented, it gave me another reason to lumber. I received an SMS from Mac saying Nicklas (aka Nicki) is flying home to Germany ASAP. I have to hear it from the boy. I asked how he has been and he bluntly said without me asking "I'm going home on Thursday." Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me that I did not read the message right, I have to ask him again. He said, 'Yes, I'm going home on Thursday." But why? He replied, "I just didn't feel needed here." I did not know what to say the next moment or so that I felt the urge to call him.
I need not elaborate how our phone conversation went. But one thing is sure, I feel even sadder. Although he assured me he would be emailing and Skype-ing me (it's tested, he is a man of his words), it did not make me less sad. As if to add pressure so he won't leave, I told him I will not return his Life of Brian DVD. But he didn't budge. Silly me. He is a decisive kid. Or has he grown to be a man already? Hahaha. I am so going to miss Nicki. I wish chocolates would not melt. That way I could have made him promise he would send me boxes and boxes and boxes of them. Only he said it is not possible. Or if it is, those brown goodies would be like water. Nice thinking. But I still feel sad. He could only say he is sorry and ashamed. :(
*****
Four of my participants for my April training just backed out due to an 'emergency'. I'm so used to it. Give me drama because that was not really funny! Argh!

No comments: