About Me

My photo
I love hard. I laugh loud. I wanna live laudibly.

Monday, December 7, 2009

The Wedding Singer

I have been singing at weddings from the tip of the Ilocos Region up to the tail of Southern Luzon since 1998. Boy, I have come this far. Maybe I should be considering it as a serious career by now. But, no thanks. I would say I have not reached the professional level yet, and most of the weddings I sing for were of relatives and friends -- people who could honestly appreciate and endure my voice for the sake of, well, kinship. The recent wedding I sang for was last November 30. It was a wedding of the daughter of my teacher-aunt's District Supervisor to a gentleman from Dagupan. I thought there was a convention of public teachers or so. They were dressed in their best olive green gowns, and much as I hate to say it, they put on their best shining, shimmering accessories which they only get to wear during these occasions. So okay, I would pass being the queer-eyed critique for the worst and best dressed teachers, oops, principals. I was late for the bridal march so Regie took the lead for "Angels Brought Me Here'. The couple were already at the altar when I arrived. I saw the bride wiping off her tears. That wasn't a first time scene for me. I mean, I have seen several brides weeping when we sing them songs especially if the song is the couple's lovesong. I have seen a couple cry too! Is that what they call the tears of joy? I have this funny feeling the brides might be thinking they're about to make a big mistake and they can't turn back. But hey, it must be really love. I was told once, 'You must get there to understand what it is.' Hmmm. Okay, okay. Speaking of getting there, I nearly choked on my food when I was cornered by my cousin while having lunch. She said, 'You're singing for a wedding again. Will you always remain the wedding singer? And who would sing for you when your wedding comes?' Answer: deadly silence with rolling eyes. Interpretation: I have no freaking idea. She's actually freaking me out whenever she puts me in the hot seat. She grinned. And that means she had me thinking like Plato.
*****
Phone beeped. An SMS. I checked the clock, 10 minutes past midnight. Am I dreaming? No. It was a message from Jhia. 'Tin pwede din yung Two Words ni Lea Salonga.' She was suggesting the song of Lea for her bridal march. And yes, like the suggestion cannot wait for tomorrow. I thought she might be expecting a reply so I hit her back with 'Mabagal ang transition ng words. I sing that song for the exchange of vows.' Then it was a peaceful night after my message was sent.
Jhia is getting married on May 2010, with Jaicus. He asked, she said yes. The proposal was made in Singapore with Jhia wearing sleeveless blouse and well, her usual self. But she did bring a dress to Singapore, only she was not expecting the proposal to be delivered soon before she could change costumes. Hahaha. But I love how the proposal went -- when Jhia least expected it. Because proposals are supposed to be surprising, aren't they? So Jhia, you had it.
Congratulations to you both! And yes, I will sing at your wedding.

5 comments:

Mav said...

May kinantahan si JM na wedding, I think 'Ikaw' ung bridal march. Harhar :). Congrats Jhia :)

Tinao said...

'Ikaw' is actually a nice bridal march pero karaniwan na kasi. Gusto ko yung 'Ngayon at Kailanman'! Well, ako lang naman may gusto nun. Choices ni jhia: 'When I Met You' by Sarah G. or 'Two Words' by Lea. Mahaba naman daw yung aisle kaya sige pagbigyan.

Anonymous said...

acheng....
heheh..ayos din yun "nowbody"...
para medyo nasa uso.... (~.^)
kaw gurl kelan mo yayain ng kasal ang bf mo...lentek lang ang walang latay kapag pinaiyak ka pa nung kamote na yun... but i think naman his much better than you know how...
no offence pero magaling ka na pumili ng bf ah ah..d hamak naman na mas gwapo yan napili mo....heheheh....
P.S. Di mko kilala.... wehehehe...
petiks101...(~.^)

Mav said...

Pinagpilian kasi ung Ikaw at Ngayon at Kailanman nung kasal eh haha, kaso pag Ngayon at Kailanman dapat ata talaga lalake kakanta. Congrats kay Jhia:)

Tinao said...

may version na rin si Agot Isidro! :) i so love that song.