About Me

My photo
I love hard. I laugh loud. I wanna live laudibly.

Monday, June 15, 2009

If He Isn't, Then Who Is?

Sounds really desperate.
But finally, yes, finally, Anna brought the DVD she promised to lend me a few weeks back. It maybe something really sappy but the title of the movie was plain irresistible and intriguing for someone LIKE ME. (Yeah, like there’s an unidentified, emerging –ism for the likes of me that sooner or later I will be spearheading.) Plus, I get to have a good chat with Bro. Paul this afternoon about my relationship status (which by the way is being joyfully single for now) that seemed to me more like a cross-examination, really. The title of the movie: He’s Just Not That Into You - based on the book by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo. (I can see some eyes rolling and mischievous whisperings that this is all too passé or inappropriate. Yeah, like I care!) Okay, so I would like to share some quotable (at least for me) lines from the movie which caught me offguard. Well, simply because I was not expecting those enlightening messages. Scene: Ben Affleck proposing marriage to Jen Aniston. More or less, this was the line. And please consider the pauses [I double-dashed to stress the point]. But actually, the line was the cherry on top of the ice cream. Ben was the ice cream. Hahaha. It was not a very creative proposal but I shed a tear.
"And I wanna make you happy. I need to make you happy for me that it even have a shot at me happy. Will -- you -- marry -- me?"
Narration [more or less again] on the last part which basically holds true. I would want to read these lines over and over to my girlfriends. Really, a wonderful guy is not necessary. But, in my personal point of view, I wish there’s one good partner for everybody. And me. Hehehehe.

"... If a guy punches you, he likes you. Never try to trim your own bangs. And someday you will meet a wonderful guy and your very own happy ending.

Every movie we see, every story we’re told, implores us to wait for it – the third acts twist, the unexpected declaration of love, the exception to the rule. But sometimes, we’re so focused on finding our happy ending we don’t learn how to read the signs: how to tell the ones who want us from the ones who don’t, the ones who'll stay from the ones who'll leave.

And maybe this happy ending does not include a wonderful guy. Maybe it’s you, on your own. Picking up the pieces and starting over. Freeing yourself up for something better in the future.

Maybe the happy ending is just moving on. Or maybe the happy ending is this: knowing that through all the unreturned phonecalls and broken hearts, through all the blunders and misread signals, through all the pains and embarrassment, you never ever gave up hope."

And oh! Here's a deadly line from Jen Aniston that would make guys zombie-still or rethink if they heard the girl right:
"Stop being nice to me unless you're going to marry me."
Cheers to my girlfriends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

someday, your guy will come.